12 Upcoming Events
United Kingdom12 Events
- Feb 04 2021Feb042021Find ticketsThu 18:30O2 Ritz Manchester - ManchesterSleeper + The Bluetones
- Feb 05 2021Feb052021Find ticketsFri 18:30O2 Academy Newcastle - Newcastle Upon TyneSleeper + The Bluetones
- Feb 06 2021Feb062021Find ticketsSat 18:30O2 Academy Glasgow - GlasgowSleeper + The Bluetones
- Feb 11 2021Feb112021Find ticketsThu 19:00O2 Academy2 Leicester - LeicesterThe Bluetones
- Feb 13 2021Feb132021Find ticketsSat 18:30O2 Academy Leeds - LeedsSleeper + The Bluetones
- Feb 18 2021Feb182021Thu 19:00O2 Academy2 Sheffield - SheffieldThe Bluetones playing 'Expecting To Fly'Find ticketsO2 Academy2 Sheffield - SheffieldThe Bluetones playing 'Expecting To Fly'Feb 18 202119:00Find tickets
- Feb 19 2021Feb192021Find ticketsFri 18:30O2 Academy Bristol - BristolSleeper + The Bluetones (Co Headline Tour)
- Feb 20 2021Feb202021Sat 18:30O2 Forum Kentish Town - LondonSleeper + the Bluetones (Co-Headline Tour)Find ticketsO2 Forum Kentish Town - LondonSleeper + the Bluetones (Co-Headline Tour)Feb 20 202118:30Find tickets
- Feb 25 2021Feb252021Thu 19:00O2 Academy Oxford - OxfordThe Bluetones (playing Expecting To Fly in full)Find ticketsO2 Academy Oxford - OxfordThe Bluetones (playing Expecting To Fly in full)Feb 25 202119:00Find tickets
- Feb 26 2021Feb262021Fri 18:30O2 Academy Bournemouth - BournemouthSleeper + The Bluetones (Co Headline Tour)Find ticketsO2 Academy Bournemouth - BournemouthSleeper + The Bluetones (Co Headline Tour)Feb 26 202118:30Find tickets
- Feb 27 2021Feb272021Find ticketsSat 18:30O2 Academy Birmingham - BirminghamSleeper + The Bluetones
- Feb 12 2021Feb122021Find ticketsFri 19:00Arts Club - LiverpoolThe Bluetones playing 'Expecting To Fly'
Playing Expecting To Fly in full in 2021
The Bluetones were probably the crest of Britpop’s final wave, arriving just as many of their peers and influences were on the wane. The West London band provided a midpoint between the swaggering psychedelia of The Stone Roses, the brash guitar pop of Oasis and the melodic charm of Cast.
Formed in Hounslow in 1994, Mark Morriss (vocals), Adam Devlin (guitar), Eds Chesters (drums) and Scott Morriss (bass) debuted with two singles on their own label, Superior Quality Recordings. The latter of these, Bluetonic, made its way onto their 1996 debut album Expecting To Fly.
The album, named after the Buffalo Springfield song of the same name, knocked Oasis’s What’s The Story (Morning Glory)? off its No.1 perch for a week en route to going Platinum in the UK. The single Slight Return made its way to No.2 in the UK singles chart, kept off the top spot by Babylon Zoo’s Spaceman.
If Expecting To Fly arrived just in time for Britpop’s final hurrah, its successor, 1998’s Return To The Last Chance Saloon, felt like its eulogy, its title and dusty sepia tones seeming to nod to the genre’s numbered days. While it didn’t land with the same instant impact as its predecessor, it still achieved Gold status in the UK and went to No.10 in the album charts, mirroring lead single Solomon Bites The Worm’s top ten success. More importantly, it cemented the band’s place in the hearts of a devoted cult fanbase.
Rather than fade away like so many of their ilk, The Bluetones managed to go even better with their third album Science & Nature, released by Mercury in 2000, which peaked at No.7 in the UK. Luxembourg followed in 2003, with the self-titled The Bluetones arriving to a positive reception in 2006.
Even as Mark Morriss pursued a solo career, releasing four albums, joining Matt Berry’s backing band and scoring David Walliams’ audiobooks, The Bluetones remained active, releasing their sixth album A New Athens in 2010. In 2011, they confirmed that the supporting tour would be their last. The split proved temporary, however, and the band reformed in 2015.
The band announced a special tour with fellow Britpoppers Sleeper for 2020 that would see The Bluetones play all of Expecting To Fly and Sleeper play their 1995 hit record SMART in full. In July 2020, they announced that the tour was being rescheduled to 2021.
The Bluetones are touring the UK in 2021 with Sleeper. The tour will see both bands play their seminal albums (Expecting To Fly and SMART) in full.
The Bluetones are playing in the following UK cities next year:
The Bluetones are playing co-headline shows with Sleeper. The tour will see both bands play their seminal albums (Expecting To Fly and SMART) in full.
The Bluetones are:
• Mark Morriss (vocals)
• Adam Devlin (guitar)
• Scott Morriss (bass)
• Eds Chesters (drums)
The Bluetones biggest hits are:
· Slight Return
· Cut Some Rug
· Marblehead Johnson
· Solomon Bites The Worm
· Keep The Home Fires Burning