15 Upcoming Events
United Kingdom14 Events
- Apr 04 2022Apr042022Find ticketsMon 19:00Clwb Ifor Bach - CardiffThe AcademicOn partner site
- Apr 09 2022Apr092022Find ticketsSat 20:00Ulster Hall Belfast - BelfastThe AcademicLow Availability
- Apr 13 2022Apr132022Find ticketsWed 18:30O2 Academy2 Oxford - OxfordThe Academic
- Apr 15 2022Apr152022Find ticketsFri 18:00O2 Institute2 Birmingham - BirminghamThe Academic
- Apr 17 2022Apr172022Find ticketsSun 18:00Nottingham Rescue Rooms - NottinghamThe AcademicLimited Availability
- Apr 20 2022Apr202022Wed 19:00SWG3 - GlasgowThe AcademicOn partner siteFind tickets SWG3 - GlasgowThe AcademicApr 20 202219:00Find ticketsOn partner site
- Apr 20 2022Apr202022Find ticketsWed 19:00SWG3 - GlasgowThe Academic
- Apr 21 2022Apr212022Find ticketsThu 19:00The Caves - EdinburghThe AcademicLimited Availability
- Apr 22 2022Apr222022Find ticketsFri 19:00The Tunnels - AberdeenThe AcademicLow Availability
- Apr 24 2022Apr242022Find ticketsSun 19:00Stylus - LeedsThe Academic
- Apr 25 2022Apr252022Find ticketsMon 19:00O2 Ritz Manchester - ManchesterThe Academic
- Apr 27 2022Apr272022Find ticketsWed 19:00O2 Forum Kentish Town - LondonThe AcademicLow Availability
- Apr 27 2022Apr272022Find ticketsWed 19:00O2 Forum Kentish Town - LondonThe Academic
- Apr 12 2022Apr122022Find ticketsTue 18:00Arts Club - LiverpoolThe AcademicLimited Availability
International Events1 Events
- Jul 21 2022Jul212022Find ticketsThu 19:00Festival Big Top - Galway, IrelandThe Academic
The Irish indie-pop outfit announce a 2021 UK tour
New EP Acting My Age is available here.
Hailing from Rochfortbridge, County Westmeath, Irish quartet The Academic formed in 2013 while its members were still in school. Within a year, Craig Fitzgerald (vocals and guitar), Dean Gavin (drums), and brothers Matthew and Stephen Murtagh (lead guitar and bass, respectively) were opening a local show for alt-rock cult heroes The Pixies.
In 2015, The Academic became one of Ireland's most talked-about new bands thanks to their debut single Different. It even helped the group get a slot that year at British Summer Time in London's Hyde Park alongside The Strokes, Beck, Future Islands, Temples and Public Service Broadcasting.
Their Mixtape 2003 single followed in 2016, showcasing the indie-pop stylings that formed the core of the band's canon.
The Academic’s debut album Tales From the Backseat came out in January 2018 and the group further evolved their sound, with lead single Bear Claws offering a nod to influences such as Arctic Monkeys and Weezer.
Upon its release, Tales From the Backseat went right to the number one spot on the Irish albums chart. That summer, the quartet played their biggest headline show to date for 5,000 fans at Dublin's Iveagh Gardens.
In 2018 and 2019, The Academic reach spread beyond homeland as the band became festival favourites all around the world.
On 10 July 2020, they released the six-track EP Acting My Age, produced by Kaiser Chiefs’ Nick Hodgson. Shortly afterwards, the band announced a UK headline tour for April 2021.
St Patrick’s Day: 9 unmissable Irish bands on tour in 2021 a
Ditch the Guinness hats and green pints and celebrate this Paddy’s Day with some authentically Irish entertainment, from The Academic to Silverbacks and Clannad to Pillow Queens.
The Academic are going on tour across the UK in April 2021 in support of their EP Acting My Age.
The Academic is an Irish band made up of Craig Fitzgerald on lead vocals and guitar, Stephen Murtagh on bass, Matt Murtagh on lead guitar and Dean Gavin on drums.
The Academic come from an Irish village called Rochfortbridge on the outskirts of Mullingar, which is located an hour west of Dublin.
The Academic are a four-piece that play indie-pop music. They were inspired by groups like Phoenix, The Strokes, Weezer, Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand.
Along with numerous singles, The Academic recorded the EP Loose Friends in 2015, and their debut full-length album Tales From the Backseat came out in 2018. The EP Acting My Age was released in July 2020.
Among The Academic’s most popular songs are the following:
- Why Can’t We Be Friends?
- Bear Claws
- I Feel It Too
- Acting My Age
- Bite My Tongue