Alternative and Indie
9 Upcoming Events
United Kingdom9 Events
- 14/04/2022Find ticketsFirst Direct Arena - Leeds The Wombats Apr 14 2022 18:00Thursday 18:00First Direct Arena - LeedsThe WombatsLow Availability
- 15/04/2022Find ticketsThe O2 - London The Wombats Apr 15 2022 18:30Friday 18:30The O2 - LondonThe WombatsLow Availability
- 16/04/2022Find ticketsMotorpoint Arena Cardiff - Cardiff The Wombats Apr 16 2022 18:30Saturday 18:30Motorpoint Arena Cardiff - CardiffThe Wombats
- 18/04/2022Find ticketsBarrowland - Glasgow The Wombats "All The Hits" Apr 18 2022 19:00Monday 19:00Barrowland - GlasgowThe Wombats "All The Hits"Low Availability
- 19/04/2022Find ticketsBarrowland - Glasgow The Wombats "All The Hits" Apr 19 2022 19:00Tuesday 19:00Barrowland - GlasgowThe Wombats "All The Hits"
- 21/04/2022Find ticketsLiverpool Guild of Students - Mountford Hall - Liverpool The Wombats Apr 21 2022 19:00Thursday 19:00Liverpool Guild of Students - Mountford Hall - LiverpoolThe Wombats
- 22/04/2022Find ticketsLiverpool Guild of Students - Mountford Hall - Liverpool The Wombats Apr 22 2022 19:00Friday 19:00Liverpool Guild of Students - Mountford Hall - LiverpoolThe WombatsLimited Availability
- 23/04/2022Find ticketsLiverpool Guild of Students - Mountford Hall - Liverpool The Wombats Apr 23 2022 19:00Saturday 19:00Liverpool Guild of Students - Mountford Hall - LiverpoolThe WombatsLimited Availability
- 26/05/2022Find ticketsScarborough Open Air Theatre - Scarborough The Wombats May 26 2022 18:00Thursday 18:00Scarborough Open Air Theatre - ScarboroughThe Wombats
Liverpudlian trio fusing unconventional lyrics with danceable indie rock
One of the UK’s most popular guitar-driven indie rock acts, The Wombats were formed in Liverpool in the early ’00s by two Scousers and a Norwegian – aka vocalist and guitarist Matthew “Murph” Murphy, percussionist Dan Haggis and bass guitarist Tord Øverland Knudsen. They met while attending the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts and began releasing EPs in 2004.
Something of an in joke, their name came from calling each other “wombat” whenever they made stupid mistakes. Plus in their early years, the three-piece took a giant stuffed wombat called Cherub to their gigs, calling him their fourth band member.
In 2006, The Wombats signed with the London-based indie label KIDS Records and released a limited-edition vinyl consisting of Lost In The Post and Patricia The Stripper. Later that year, they issued the Japan-only album Girls, Boys And Marsupials.
Many of its songs, however, appeared on their debut studio album A Guide To Love, Loss & Desperation, which arrived in 2007 after The Wombats moved to 14th Floor Records. Not only did it peak at No.11 on the UK albums chart, but it also spawned four top 40 singles: Backfire At The Disco, Kill The Director, Moving To New York and Let’s Dance To Joy Division featuring the Llangattock Primary School kids choir.
The band toured heavily throughout the UK and Europe in 2008 and played a number of summer festivals like Glastonbury, T In The Park and Reading & Leeds.
Preceded by the popular lead singles Tokyo (Vampires & Wolves), Jump Into The Fog and Anti-D, their sophomore album The Wombats Proudly Present This Modern Glitch hit No.3 on the charts in 2011. Among the producers were Jacknife Lee (U2, The Killers) and Eric Valentine (Taking Back Sunday, Good Charlotte), who helped The Wombats evolve their alternative rock and pop-punk sounds to include pulsing synth beats and infectious hooks.
In 2015, Glitterbug produced by Valentine along with Mark Crew (Bastille, Rag’n’Bone Man) was unveiled and reached No.5 on the charts. The band not only hit the road on a UK headline tour but over the coming years supported The Rolling Stones, Weezer and The Pixies.
Through the ’10s, Murphy had begun spending a lot of time of in Los Angeles and he ultimately moved there in 2017.
The Wombats released their critically acclaimed fourth studio album Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life in 2018. To support it, they played a huge gig at The SSE Arena, Wembley in early 2019. Known for being pranksters, the show saw everything from flying marsupials to circle waltzes.
In 2020, Murphy launched a solo project under the moniker Love Fame Tragedy revealing his debut album Wherever I Go, I Want To Leave.
In May 2021, The Wombats released the R&B-infused single Method To The Madness. Their first new material since 2018, its demo was actually recorded at Murphy’s LA home in 2019, but due to the coronavirus pandemic the track had to be finished remotely over the following year from the band members’ respective homes.
The Wombats confirmed their appearance at Reading & Leeds 2021 edition, as well as announced a huge show at London’s O2 arena in April 2022. In August 2021, they announced their fifth studio album Fix Yourself, Not The World would come out on 7 January 2022 plus added six more dates in Leeds, Cardiff, Glasgow, Liverpool (two shows) and Scarborough for spring 2022 as part of their All The Hits! tour.
The Wombats – All The Hits! 2022 UK tour dates
- 14 April 2022 – First Direct Arena, Leeds
- 15 April 2022 – The O2, London
- 16 April 2022 – Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff
- 18 April 2022 – Barrowland Ballroom, Glasgow
- 22 April 2022 – Mountford Hall, Liverpool
- 23 April 2022 – Mountford Hall, Liverpool (new date added)
- 26 May 2022 – Scarborough Open Air Theatre
Extra Liverpool date added
The trio from Liverpool have added a second hometown date at Mountford Hall on 23 April 2022 due to huge demand for their All The Hits! tour. Tickets go on sale from 09:00 on Friday 27 August 2022.
The Wombats announce All The Hits! 2022 tour
In addition to playing London's O2 arena, the Liverpudlian trio will appear in Leeds, Cardiff, Glasgow, Liverpool and Scarborough next spring. Tickets go on sale from 09:00 on Friday 20 August 2022.
The Wombats are performing at Reading & Leeds on 28 & 29 August 2021 as well as hitting the road with their All The Hits! tour from 14 April – 26 May 2022.
The Wombats are in the line-up for Reading & Leeds in 2021 at Richfield Avenue, Reading and Bramham Park, Leeds. The band will also be visiting the following UK cities on their 2022 All The Hits! tour:
- Liverpool (two shows)
Tickets for The Wombat’s extra Liverpool 2022 tour date goes on sale from 09:00 on Friday 27 August 2022. Tickets for The Wombats' other 2022 tour dates and 2021 Reading & Leeds festival are on sale now.