Alternative and Indie
6 Upcoming Events
United Kingdom6 Events
- 02/11/2021Find ticketsThekla - Bristol Stephen Fretwell Nov 02 19:00Tuesday 19:00Thekla - BristolStephen Fretwell
- 03/11/2021Find ticketsGlee Club - Birmingham Stephen Fretwell Nov 03 19:30Wednesday 19:30Glee Club - BirminghamStephen Fretwell
- 07/11/2021Find ticketsBrudenell Social Club - Leeds Stephen Fretwell Nov 07 19:30Sunday 19:30Brudenell Social Club - LeedsStephen FretwellLimited Availability
- 08/11/2021Find ticketsManchester Gorilla - Manchester Stephen Fretwell Nov 08 19:00Monday 19:00Manchester Gorilla - ManchesterStephen Fretwell
- 09/11/2021Find ticketsOran Mor - Glasgow Stephen Fretwell Nov 09 19:00Tuesday 19:00Oran Mor - GlasgowStephen Fretwell
- 05/11/2021Find ticketsLondon Omeara - London Stephen Fretwell Nov 05 19:00Friday 19:00London Omeara - LondonStephen Fretwell
Stephen Fretwell announces six intimate dates in November 2021
The finger-picking indie singer and songwriter is supporting the release of his third album Busy Guy with a UK tour.
Growing up in Scunthorpe with songs by Bob Dylan playing in his home, Stephen Fretwell’s interest in music began at a young age. He borrowed a guitar from his grandparents and made tapes of his songs for friends and family. As a teenager, Fretwell also started a band called Label.
He moved to Manchester to attend university but wasn't enrolled for long, instead finding his place in the city’s burgeoning music scene, where he became something of a folk troubadour with a raw edge. During this time, Fretwell wrote and performed songs such as Emily and What’s That You Say Little Girl that would appear on his 2002 debut mini-album 8 Songs. Released on his friend’s label Northern Ambition, it got him noticed by the local press and landed him an opening spot at an Elbow gig.
In 2004, his debut full-length album Magpie came out on Fiction Records. Not only did it climb to No.27 on the UK albums chart, but the record also spawned the heartfelt single Run, which would be used a few years later in the BAFTA-winning hit TV series Gavin And Stacey.
Fretwell received an Ivor Novello award nomination for songwriting for his follow-up album, 2007’s Man On The Roof. However, after that he mysteriously disappeared from the music scene, with fan websites and Twitter accounts launched a decade later to “Find Fretwell”.
After an absence of 13 years, Fretwell surprised his loyal cult following by releasing the lead single Oval in early 2021 followed by The Long Water, with his third album Busy Guy arriving in July. Recorded during a single two-hour session on a hot afternoon, he described the collection as a “song cycle of sorts” examining everything from fatherhood to loss and rebirth.
Stephen Fretwell's 2021 UK tour dates
- 2 November 2021 – Thekla, Bristol
- 3 November 2021 – Glee Club, Birmingham
- 5 November 2021 – Omeara, London
- 7 November 2021 –Brudenell Social Club, Leeds
- 8 November 2021 – Manchester Gorilla
- 9 November 2021 – Oran Mor, Glasgow
Stephen Fretwell is touring the UK from 2 – 9 November 2021 in support of his new album Busy Guy.
Stephen Fretwell will be visiting the following UK cities on his 2021 tour:
Tickets for Stephen Fretwell’s 2021 tour dates are on sale now.