8 Upcoming Events
United Kingdom8 Events
- 22/04/2022Find ticketsO2 Academy Leeds - Leeds Sleeper 'The It Girl' Tour Apr 22 2022 19:00Friday 19:00O2 Academy Leeds - LeedsSleeper 'The It Girl' Tour
- 28/04/2022Find ticketsO2 Academy Bristol - Bristol Sleeper 'The It Girl' Tour Apr 28 2022 19:00Thursday 19:00O2 Academy Bristol - BristolSleeper 'The It Girl' Tour
- 29/04/2022Find ticketshmv Empire - Coventry Sleeper - the It Girl Tour Apr 29 2022 19:00 On partner siteFriday 19:00hmv Empire - CoventrySleeper - the It Girl TourOn partner site
- 30/04/2022Find ticketsAlbert Hall - Manchester Sleeper - the It Girl Tour Apr 30 2022 19:00 On partner siteSaturday 19:00Albert Hall - ManchesterSleeper - the It Girl TourOn partner site
- 01/05/2022Find ticketsBoiler Shop - Newcastle upon Tyne Sleeper May 01 2022 19:00 On partner siteSunday 19:00Boiler Shop - Newcastle upon TyneSleeperOn partner site
- 06/05/2022Find ticketsRoundhouse - London Sleeper - the It Girl Tour May 06 2022 19:00 On partner siteFriday 19:00Roundhouse - LondonSleeper - the It Girl TourOn partner site
- 23/07/2022Find ticketsWollaton Park - Nottingham Splendour in Nottingham Jul 23 2022 11:30Saturday 11:30Wollaton Park - NottinghamSplendour in Nottingham
- 23/04/2022Find ticketsTV Studio SWG3 - Glasgow Sleeper Apr 23 2022 19:00 On partner siteSaturday 19:00TV Studio SWG3 - GlasgowSleeperOn partner site
The cool kids of Britpop return for a 2022 homecoming tour
Sleeper have announced a string of UK dates throughout April and May 2022, when they'll be celebrating 25 years of The It Girl – their platinum-selling, No.5-charting album – by performing it in full.
Few things sum up the 90s more than the video for Inbetweener – featuring the inevitable mash-up of Britpop and Supermarket Sweep. Dominating charts, airtime and magazine covers between 1995 and 1997, Sleeper helped steer the indie undercurrent of Cool Britannia with three consecutive hit albums full of garage pop hooks and shrugged-off charisma.
Louise Wener and Jon Stewart met at Manchester University and bonded over a mutual obsession with Blondie, The Smiths, The Sundays, Hole, Nirvana and Pixies. Putting an ad in Melody Maker for two new members the pair found Diid Osman and Andy Maclure – naming their new band after the Woody Allen sci-fi comedy. One fake NME review later (that Wener wrote herself), Sleeper had bagged themselves a record deal with RCA sub Indolent and were supporting Blur on their Parklife tour.
By 1995, Sleeper backed up their overnight success with the first of three critical and commercial hit albums, with Smart followed closely by The It Girl and Pleased To Meet You. Singles like Inbetweener (featuring a Dale Winton cameo), Nice Guy Eddie, Sale Of The Century and Statuesque became instant indie anthems, their cover of Atomic featured on the era-defining Trainspotting soundtrack, and Wener became one of the most photographed faces of Britpop.
Splitting in 1998 after three explosive years at the top, the various members of Sleeper went their separate ways. Wener became a novelist, Stewart started lecturing in music history (teaching The Kooks, James Bay and Black Honey at Brighton’s BIMM Institute), Osman became an artist manager and Maclure started a punk rock karaoke night with Steve Lamacq.
Reuniting in 2017 for Star Shaped Festival’s Britpop revival, Sleeper returned with new drummer Kieron Pepper (formerly of The Prodigy) to headline a new set of shows alongside Space, Dodgy and The Bluetones. The next year, the band announced that they were working on material for a new album, and The Modern Age followed in March 2019. Reaching No.18 on the UK albums chart, Sleeper’s fourth record picked up right where the band left off almost 20 years earlier, with 2021’s “lost recordings album”, This Time Tomorrow, filling in as many of the gaps as possible.
Sleeper have announced April and May 2022 UK tour dates.
Sleeper are playing UK shows in:
Tickets for Sleeper's 2022 tour are on sale from 10:00 on Friday 22 October 2021.