11 Upcoming Events
United Kingdom11 Events
- Jan 31Jan31Find ticketsFri 19:00O2 Academy Bournemouth - BournemouthKano
- Feb 01Feb01Find ticketsSat 19:00Cardiff University Students Union - CardiffKano
- Feb 02Feb02Find ticketsSun 19:00O2 Academy Bristol - BristolKano
- Feb 03Feb03Find ticketsMon 19:00O2 Academy Liverpool - LiverpoolKano
- Feb 12Feb12Find ticketsWed 19:00O2 Academy Leeds - LeedsKano
- Feb 13Feb13Find ticketsThu 18:30Rock City - NottinghamKano
- Feb 14Feb14Find ticketsFri 19:00O2 Academy Birmingham - BirminghamKano
- Feb 15Feb15Find ticketsSat 19:00O2 Victoria Warehouse Manchester - ManchesterKano
- Aug 29Aug29Find ticketsSat 11:30Clapham Common - LondonSouth West Four - Saturday
- Aug 29Aug29Find ticketsSat 11:30Clapham Common - LondonSouth West Four - Saturday VIP
Kano, or Kane Brett Robinson, is a British rapper from London whose grandparents came to the United Kingdom as immigrants from Jamaica. Kano was a key member in East London's N.A.S.T.Y. Crew. However, since signing with 679 recordings, he has stopped performing and producing tracks for the group, taking band members Demon and Ghetto with him.
His debut solo album, Home Sweet Home, was a great success across the British press. In 2005, Kano was nominated for four MOBO Awards, winning the award for Best Newcomer. On New Years Eve 2006, Mayor of London Ken Livingstone announced Kano as one of "London's Heroes of 2005". 2006 look set to be another good year for this star when he was nominated for a BRIT Award for Best Urban Act in January.
His latest album, London Town, released in September 2007, includes the eagerly-awaited single, This Is The Girl, featuring Craig David. The Album Chart Show confirmed that Kano was also working with Damon Albarn from Gorillaz and Kate Nash to produce this new album.
Kano announced his return with two new tracks - Trouble and Class Of Deja (feat. D Double E and Ghetts) – and a new 17 minute music video directed by Aneil Karia, based on a concept by Kano, shot over two days in London earlier this summer. A second video for the track Pan-Fried (ft. Kojo Funds) was released last week.
Produced by Blue May and Jodi Milliner, Hoodies All Summer is the sixth studio album from Kano, and his first release since 2016’s acclaimed Mercury-nominated ‘Made In The Manor’. The 10-track album sees Kano explore a more minimal – yet still uniquely British - sound which brings his lyrical prowess to the fore. The multi-layered elements of the record embrace a diverse instrumentation, as well as the broader strokes of hip hop and dancehall, and features appearances from Kojo Funds, Popcaan, Lil Silva, D Double E and Ghetts.
With this latest album, Kano moves beyond the more personal themes of Made In The Manor to tackle with a soaring fury the social fissures and injustices he sees developing around him on both a local and global level. The result is his most ambitious body of work to date. Hoodies All Summer is a commanding and visceral examination of communities marked by isolation, frustration, anger and loss, as well as creativity, defiance and hope.
One of the most innovative, interesting and pioneering artists to come out of Britain in recent years, Kano writes here at a pitch of scalding urgency, with an honesty that uses personal experience and observation as a means to magnify the current processes of the societal and political system. The centre, he reminds us with unsparing detail, cannot hold.
Last updated: Sept, 2019