16 Upcoming Events
United Kingdom15 Events
- May 07 2021May072021Find ticketsFri 19:00Manchester Academy - ManchesterFontaines D.C.Limited Availability
- May 08 2021May082021Find ticketsSat 19:00Manchester Academy - ManchesterFontaines D.C.Limited Availability
- May 10 2021May102021Find ticketsMon 19:00De Montfort Hall - LeicesterFontaines D.C.
- May 11 2021May112021Find ticketsTue 19:00O2 Academy Leeds - LeedsFontaines D.C.Limited Availability
- May 12 2021May122021Find ticketsWed 19:00O2 City Hall, Newcastle - Newcastle Upon TyneFontaines D.C.
- May 14 2021May142021Find ticketsFri 19:00Barrowland - GlasgowFontaines D.C.Limited Availability
- May 15 2021May152021Find ticketsSat 19:00Barrowland - GlasgowFontaines D.C.Limited Availability
- May 17 2021May172021Find ticketsMon 19:00Cambridge Corn Exchange - CambridgeFontaines D.C.
- May 18 2021May182021Find ticketsTue 19:00O2 Academy Sheffield - SheffieldFontaines D.C.Low Availability
- May 20 2021May202021Find ticketsThu 19:00O2 Academy Birmingham - BirminghamFontaines D.C.
- May 21 2021May212021Find ticketsFri 19:00Cardiff University Students Union - CardiffFontaines D.C.Limited Availability
- May 22 2021May222021Find ticketsSat 19:00O2 Academy Bristol - BristolFontaines D.C.Limited Availability
- May 24 2021May242021Find ticketsMon 19:00O2 Academy Bournemouth - BournemouthFontaines D.C.
- May 25 2021May252021Find ticketsTue 19:00O2 Guildhall Southampton - SouthamptonFontaines D.C.
- May 27 2021May272021Find ticketsThu 18:30Alexandra Palace - LondonFontaines D.C.
International Events1 Events
- Jul 03 2021Jul032021Find ticketsSat 18:30Iveagh Gardens - Dublin, IrelandFontaines D.C.Limited Availability
New album 31 July 2020 and new tour announced for 2021
Irish post-punks Fontaines D.C. came together at music college in Dublin. Grian Chatten (vocals), Conor Deegan III (bass), Carlos O’Connell (guitar), Conor Curley (guitar) and Tom Coll (drums) bonded over a mutual love of poetry, from Kerouac and Ginsberg to Irish icons such as Yeats and Lorca. They named their band after the crooner Johnny Fontaine from The Godfather, adding the D.C. (Dublin City) after discovering a similarly named LA band.
The band’s initial releases were two short volumes of poetry and these lyrical foundations featured prominently on their critically acclaimed 2019 debut album Dogrel. The record blended a muscular post-punk sound with vivid verse barked out in Chatten’s charismatic Dublin accent, most notable on singles Big, Boys In The Better Land and Hurricane Laughter. A slew of five-star reviews and album of the year awards followed, notably from Rough Trade and BBC 6 Music.
Relentless touring in the wake of Dogrel took its toll on the band. Back home in Dublin, Chatten's fear of no longer being able to write led to the band quickly setting to work on a follow-up. In May 2020 they announced that their second album, A Hero’s Death, was set for release at the end of July. The band also released the title track as the first single, accompanied by a video starring Irish actor Aiden Gillen (Game Of Thrones, The Wire). A second single I Don’t Belong followed in June. The album signalled a move to a darker and more atmospheric sound than its predecessor, while the artwork (featuring the legendary Irish warrior Cú Chulainn) and album title (inspired by the writings of Brendan Behan) showed that Irish literature remained a cornerstone of the band's identity.
In support of the new record, the band announced their biggest UK tour yet for May 2021, starting at Manchester Academy and winding up with a huge show at London's Alexandra Palace.
Pre-order A Hero's Death here
The band met in Dublin where they were all studying. Only frontman Grian Chatten grew up in Dublin though.
The band's new album is called A Hero's Death and it comes out on 31 July 2020.
The D.C. stands for Dublin City. The band added it after they discovered a band in LA already had taken the name Fontaines.
Some of the band's most popular songs are:
• Hurricane Laughter
• Liberty Belle
• Roy’s Tune
• A Hero’s Death
• Boys In The Better Land
• I Don’t Belong
• Dublin City Sky
The band is made up of :
• Grian Chatten (vocals)
• Tom Coll (drums)
• Conor Curley (guitar)
• Conor Deegan III (bass)
• Carlos O’Connell (guitar)
The band has announced dates in the following cities: