22 Upcoming Events
United Kingdom22 Events
- Nov 17Nov17Find ticketsBrighton Dome - Brighton The Darkness Nov 17 19:00Wed 19:00Brighton Dome - BrightonThe Darkness
- Nov 19Nov19Find ticketsMargate Winter Gardens - Margate The Darkness Nov 19 19:00Fri 19:00Margate Winter Gardens - MargateThe Darkness
- Nov 20Nov20Find ticketsO2 Academy Bournemouth - Bournemouth The Darkness Nov 20 19:00Sat 19:00O2 Academy Bournemouth - BournemouthThe Darkness
- Nov 21Nov21Find ticketsSouthend Cliffs Pavilion - Southend-On-Sea The Darkness Nov 21 19:00Sun 19:00Southend Cliffs Pavilion - Southend-On-SeaThe Darkness
- Nov 23Nov23Find ticketsNorwich Nick Rayns LCR UEA - Norwich The Darkness Nov 23 19:30Tue 19:30Norwich Nick Rayns LCR UEA - NorwichThe Darkness
- Nov 24Nov24Find ticketsCambridge Corn Exchange - Cambridge The Darkness Nov 24 19:00Wed 19:00Cambridge Corn Exchange - CambridgeThe Darkness
- Nov 26Nov26Find ticketsHexagon Theatre - Reading The Darkness Nov 26 19:00Fri 19:00Hexagon Theatre - ReadingThe Darkness
- Nov 27Nov27Find ticketsCardiff University Students Union - Cardiff The Darkness Nov 27 19:00Sat 19:00Cardiff University Students Union - CardiffThe Darkness
- Nov 29Nov29Find ticketsThe Great Hall, Exeter - Exeter The Darkness Nov 29 19:00Mon 19:00The Great Hall, Exeter - ExeterThe Darkness
- Nov 30Nov30Find ticketsG Live Guildford - Guildford The Darkness Nov 30 19:00Tue 19:00G Live Guildford - GuildfordThe Darkness
- Dec 02Dec02Find ticketsO2 Academy Liverpool - Liverpool The Darkness Dec 02 19:00Thu 19:00O2 Academy Liverpool - LiverpoolThe Darkness
- Dec 03Dec03Find ticketsManchester Academy - Manchester The Darkness Dec 03 19:00Fri 19:00Manchester Academy - ManchesterThe DarknessLow Availability
- Dec 04Dec04Find ticketsBonus Arena, Hull - Hull The Darkness Dec 04 19:00Sat 19:00Bonus Arena, Hull - HullThe Darkness
- Dec 06Dec06Find ticketsVictoria Hall - Stoke-On-Trent The Darkness Dec 06 19:00Mon 19:00Victoria Hall - Stoke-On-TrentThe Darkness
- Dec 07Dec07Find ticketsO2 Academy Bristol - Bristol The Darkness Dec 07 19:00Tue 19:00O2 Academy Bristol - BristolThe Darkness
- Dec 09Dec09Find ticketsBarrowland - Glasgow The Darkness Dec 09 19:00Thu 19:00Barrowland - GlasgowThe Darkness
- Dec 10Dec10Find ticketsO2 Academy Newcastle - Newcastle Upon Tyne The Darkness Dec 10 19:00Fri 19:00O2 Academy Newcastle - Newcastle Upon TyneThe Darkness
- Dec 11Dec11Find ticketsO2 Academy Leeds - Leeds The Darkness Dec 11 18:00Sat 18:00O2 Academy Leeds - LeedsThe Darkness
- Dec 13Dec13Find ticketsRock City - Nottingham The Darkness Dec 13 19:00 On partner siteMon 19:00Rock City - NottinghamThe DarknessOn partner site
- Dec 14Dec14Find ticketsO2 Academy Birmingham - Birmingham The Darkness Dec 14 19:00Tue 19:00O2 Academy Birmingham - BirminghamThe Darkness
Bombastic, spandex-clad rockers
The Darkness would be easy to write off as a pastiche. Indeed, the overblown, Rock-with-a-capital-R excesses they borrow from so many of their predecessors would come across as a parody if it weren’t so obvious that The Darkness mean every single scissor kick, windmill, strut and pout with every fibre of their being.
If the band’s origin story was any more on-brand, nobody would believe it. All it took was one tremendously theatrical karaoke rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody from Justin Hawkins on the eve of the new millennium and The Darkness was born. The line-up was rounded out by Justin’s brother Dan on guitar, Frankie Poullain on bass and Ed Graham on drums.
The Darkness’s entire existence was built on their love for unfashionably bombastic hard rock: glittery skin-tight spandex, piercing falsettos, shredded guitar solos and stage moves cribbed from the most overblown hair metal bands of the late ’70s and ’80s. Initially written off in some corners as a joke band, The Darkness quickly proved they could innovate more than imitate.
A word-of-mouth chain reaction led to The Darkness becoming one of the most talked about bands in the UK by the time their debut album arrived in 2003. Permission To Land was a direct riposte to everything else in rock music at the time, a devoutly untrendy album that took huge hooks and even bigger choruses and dressed them up in spandex. Its utter lack of irony proved massively refreshing and I Believe In A Thing Called Love and Get Your Hands Off Of My Woman hitting the higher echelons of the singles chart.
The Darkness came close to a Christmas No.1 with Christmas Time (Don’t Let The Bells End), stopping just shy at No.2. Unfortunately, their second album One Way Ticket to Hell ...and Back failed to match the success of their debut and by the time the ensuing tour had oreached its climax, the band had started to unravel.
Justin Hawkins checked into rehab to deal with drug and alcohol addiction and subsequently left the band. The remaining members formed The Stone Gods, while Hawkins embarked on a solo career, scoring a UK top ten single with a cover of Sparks’ This Town Ain’t Big Enough For The Both Of Us. He then formed a new band Hot Leg, who released one album before going quiet.
The Darkness announced that they had reformed in 2011 and hit the road almost immediately. Their third album Hot Cakes followed in 2012, with Last Of Our Kind arriving in 2015, featuring new drummer Rufus Taylor (son of Queen drummer Roger).
Pinewood Smile arrived in 2017, with the band then embarking on a UK headline tour as well as opening for Guns N’ Roses on their European tour. Their 2019 album Easter Is Cancelled peaked at No.10 in the UK Top 10 and hit No.1 on the rock and metal album charts. That same year, the band provided the theme song for the cBeebies show Catie's Amazing Machines.
In June 2021, the band announced a new album Motorheart, set for release in October of that year. To coincide with the new album, The Darkness confirmed UK tour dates for November and December 2021 with British Lion (featuring Iron Maiden's Steve Harris) as support.
The Darkness have confirmed a huge UK tour for November and December 2021.
The Darkness will play UK shows in:
Tickets go on sale from 10:00 on Friday 11 June 2021.
British Lion will support The Darkness on their 2021 UK tour dates.